I rented my mother in laws house from October 2005 to December 2010. I paid the HOA fee and a special assessment the entire time totaling about 384 a month. I was unaware that a renter should not pay these fees. The house was supposed to be my wifes inheritance house so we made several upgrades to the house thinking we would stay in this house for a long time. We had a verbal rental agreement with no signed contract. We also had a verbal agreement on how the upgrades would be paid for. I was to put the materials on my Home Depot card and Lowes card and we would pay half rent and the other half would go to pay off the Home Depot card each month until they were paid off. This did not happen. We put roughly ten thousand dollars into upgrades for the house and I have all the receipts from the Home Depot card. The Home Depot card has been closed though the balance has been transferred to a lower interest signature loan. My wife and her mom had a falling out though they have never had a good relationship. We moved out so that my wife could cut all ties to her. We did not pay the last month rent so that we could have a down deposit for an apartment. I have now discovered that the house has been sold. All the pictures online were the pictures that I took of all my upgrades as we moved out. I know that she had to have made a large amount of money off of my upgrades and labor. I am still paying this debt. I would really love to be compensated for the HOA and special assessment the upgrades and my labor. Do I have a case?