সোমবার, ২৮ অক্টোবর, ২০১৩

Movie Review: ‘All Is Lost’



So, for the past few days I’ve been wanting to go to the movies because there are so many great movies out that I HAVE to see sooner rather than later. I made plans to hang out with Emma and Josh and we decided to go see a movie together … great! The problem was that they had already seen 12 Years A Slave and didn’t want to see Kill Your Darlings (Boo and Boo). I decided to just go see the movie that they wanted to see and just enjoy my time with them, even if I really didn’t want to see the movie. They chose All Is Lost starring Robert Redford (a movie you’ve probably never even heard of before now) and I was less than thrilled. About 10 minutes into the movie, my opinion of the film changed and I ended up loving it so much that I can hardly believe how wrong I was to prejudge this movie. I know that everyone is losing their shizz over Gravity (a movie that I liked but far from loved) but you have to listen to me here … All Is Lost is a film in the same vein as Gravity (ie. Man vs. Nature) but just INFINITELY better.




All Is Lost tells the tale of a sailor, Robert Redford, who is lost at sea. For the 145 minute runtime, there is probably less than 5 minutes worth of words uttered. That said, the story is so compelling and so well acted that I know I’ll need to see the movie at least one more time to take it all in. While Gravity probably is better in terms of special effects, All Is Lost is the far superior film in terms of storytelling. It reminded me of the George Clooney film The Perfect Storm (a film set at sea that I really loved based on a book I really enjoyed) but more raw, more to the point. The movie starts out without any explanation of who Redford‘s character is at all. The action starts immediately and goes to the bitter end. The ending, IMHO, is left wide open for interpretation and I know how I believe it ended but Emma saw something different. I’m just so glad I went along with Emma and Josh’s suggestion to see All Is Lost because I’m certain the movie will be one of my faves of the year. Do yourselves a favor and see this movie. At 77 years old, Robert Redford will show you why he is one of the greatest actors of our time. All Is Lost is a tour de force, I loved it entirely. I definitely think you will too.

Today I’m running downtown to pick up my race materials for a little 5K race I’m running on Sunday (my recovery run from my marathon last weekend) and I’m hoping to hang out with Ollie for a bit. Tonight, I think I’m hanging out with Josh Rosebrook … not sure what we’re gonna do but I’m sure we’ll get up to something fun :) Happy Friday!!!



Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/pinkisthenewblog/~3/EpyQFWndrGY/movie-review-all-is-lost
Category: Ronan Farrow   national coffee day   tupac  

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন